Abstract: The care of patients with functional neurological disorders overlaps both the neurology and psychiatry specialties. It is often the case that neither provider thinks that he or she should be the treating clinician, and as a result, this patient group can suffer a substantial gap in care. Here, we illustrate a practical approach toward integration of care to appropriately treat patients with functional neurological disorders.
This activity is only available to AJP CME subscribers.
Don't have a subscription to AJP CME? Subscribe Now!
- AJP Subscriber – 12 Month CME Subscription: $150.00
- Non AJP Subscriber – 12 Month CME Subscription: $300.00
If you have questions about AJP CME subscriptions, please contact email@example.com.
The participant will evaluate symptoms that may lead to a diagnosis of a functional neurologic disorder.
This program is designed for all psychiatrists in clinical practice, residents in Graduate Medical Education programs, medical students interested in psychiatry, and other physicians who wish to advance their current knowledge of clinical medicine.
Estimated Time to Complete
Duration: 1 hour
Begin Date: April 1, 2018
End Date: March 31, 2020
How to Earn Credit
In order to earn CME credit, subscribers should read through the material presented in the article. After reading the article, complete the quiz and submit your evaluation and study hours (up to 1 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™). A score of 60% or higher is required to receive credit.
Continuing Education Credit
The American Psychiatric Association (APA) is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The APA designates this journal-based CME activity for a maximum of 1 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Faculty and Planner Disclosures
Title: Treatment for Patients With a Functional Neurologic Disorder (Conversion Disorder): An Integrated Approach
Authors: Mary A. O’Neal, M.D., Gaston Baslet, M.D.
Affiliations: From the Departments of Neurology and Psychiatry, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston (M.A.O.N., G.B.).
Disclosures: The authors report no financial relationships with commercial interests.
Discussion of unapproved or investigational use of products*: No.
*APA policy requires disclosure by CME authors of unapproved or investigational use of products discussed in CME programs. Off-label use of medications by individual physicians is permitted and common. Decisions about off-label use can be guided by scientific literature and clinical experience.
Robert Freedman, M.D. (Editor-in-Chief, AJP); Susan K. Schultz, M.D. (Deputy Editor, AJP); Michael D. Roy (Editorial Director, AJP); Michael A. Pogachar (Online Content Manager, Journals).
Dr. Schultz has received research support from the Alzheimer’s Disease Cooperative Study for projects conducted in partnership with Toyama Chemical Company and in partnership with Eli Lilly and Company. Dr. Freedman, Mr. Roy, and Mr. Pogachar report no financial relationships with commercial interests.
Optimal System Configuration:
- Flash Player: Adobe Flash Player 10.1+
- Browser: Firefox 3+, Internet Explorer 8.0+, Safari 4.0+, or Google Chrome 7.0+
- Operating System: Windows XP+ or Mac OS X 10.4+
- Internet Connection: 1 Mbps or higher
- Screen Resolution: 1024 x 768 pixels.
- Windows PC:500-MHz Pentium II; Windows XP or higher; 128 MB RAM; Video Card at least 64MB of video memory; Sound Card at least 16-bit; Macromedia Flash Player 10 or higher, audio playback with speakers for programs with video content; Firefox 1.1+, Internet Explorer 7.0+, Safari 1.0+, Google Chrome, or Opera
- Macintosh: Mac OS X 10.3 or higher with latest updates installed; 1.83MHz Intel Core Duo or faster; RAM: 128MB or more; Video Card: at least 64MB of video memory; Sound Card: at least 16-bit
For assistance: Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for questions about this course | Contact email@example.com for technical assistance